Saturday 28 July 2012

London 2012 Olympic Games: Day 1


Sock Monkey’s first day as a London 2012 Games Maker!  Dragging my carcass out of bed at 6am on a Saturday was fun. Sock Monkey normally gets up at 8am.

Venue Entry Security
After attiring myself in the lovely uniform and shoving some bran flakes down my gullet I popped into the local caff at the end of my road for a take away cup of tea where the man who works there almost had his eyes popping out at the sight of me.  A pretty easy journey to Wimbledon and an hour later I was standing in a nice long queue to get into ‘Fort Apache’ to go through security screening. 

I bumped into two of my team and we wandered over to the rendezvous spot where our the head high honcho security lady was having a briefing with the team leaders.  She told us to go and have a cup of tea and come back later.

On my way into Fort Apache I could see Court 18 which was being strimmed and then we spotted Centre Court on the big screen.  This was being mowed half an hour before the gates opened!  And the masses of dancers were being given their final instructions, the last of which was “Sit down and pretend to be a member of the public so we could only assume they were some sort of flash mob.


Being the first day it was all somewhat random.  We had only really just been allocated our Team Leaders and were having our first briefing when the announcement “Open the gates” came over the tannoy.  Loud and clear!  We were at the opposite end of the grounds from Gate 10 (our new home for the next 4 hours).  Our job is to get people through the gates!
 
Our Pack Leader, Ruth, said that we would be winging it today as it was day 1 but our main objective was to “Get them all in as soon as possible so we can all go and watch some tennis.”  Like it!

Sock Monkey stood at the x-ray machine for, “Good morning.  How are you? Make sure you have nothing in your pockets” four hours.  We were accompanied by Royal Marine Commandoes, the Parachute Regement and the Navy.  We felt very save with the big burly squaddies.  One of them asked me why on earth anyone would want to volunteer to do this.

Some of the general public were stu-pid.  Like the woman who proceeded to take Every. Single. Thing. Out of her bag and dump it in the tray.  And the man who, just as he was about to walk through the metal detector asked me if having his wallet and mobile phone in his pocket was OK.

Delicious!  Its all that was left
Once everyone had arrived, eventually – God there were thousands of them – we had our lunch break.  We were taken into the bowels of the building next to Centre Court.  Down a ramp by the side of the building, past the bins, through a delightful access tunnel to the Ball Boy rest room.  Where they had no hot food left.  We decided to decamp and go to the main restaurant only to be told that secturity (ie US) weren’t allowed to ‘dine’ in there.  We traipsed back to the tunnel for some slops and were told that we had been ‘Stood down’.  Hooray! Free tennis for us!
David Ferer

Andy Murray (a bit sideways)
Four of us went to Court 18 and saw David Ferrer and Felipop Lopaz beat some Poles.  Then we went to Court 2 to see the end of Li Na and Hutchenova’s match before Andy and Jamie Murray’s doubles match agaist Jurgen Metzer and his partner.  Towards the end of the first set all the volunteers (in uniform) were kicked out for the paying punters so I had to leave.  My three new friends had changed their tops so they could stay. Guess what Sock Monkey s shoving in the bag tomorrow a change of t-shirt.

I got back home (someone standing outside my flats “Are you in the Olympics?” duh can’t you seeeee what I’m wearing?) and watched the Murray brothers lose.
 
Today was fun!  Brilliant atmosphere and I don’t even mind walking around in public wearing my uniform. 

No comments: