Tuesday 24 March 2009

Ground Control to Major Tom


A grown man has just asked me how to use a microwave!!

I wandered into the kitchen at work (if anything in this world should be described a something-ette its our kitchen at work. Its small-but-not-perfectly-formed) and he is standing there with a bewildered expression on his face. Its not like he was confronted by this (points right):

Nor was it making Starship Enterprise-type noises (although it would be entertaining if it did).

He says, "Sock Monkey could you show me how to use this microwave? I've never used one."

I didn't laugh or make a snort of derision, or gasp or anything. I just showed him how to twist the little knob round to how many minutes you need it to nuke your grub (in this case pizza. microwaved pizza does-not-equal-nice).

And I thought I was a luddite! I wonder if he knows how to use a calculator, or a cash machine or a zip! He's obviously been doing too much colouring in or something.

No comments: