Thursday 16 September 2010

My Journey to Work

Sock Monkey has a morning routine. This is because That's What Sock Monkey is Like.

Sock Monkey gets the same train (almost) every morning and has to sit in the same seat. If Sock Monkey doesn't get the same seat an International Incident could occur.

Sock Monkey then reads The Guardian, drinks tea (I take a flask of tea with me for the 23 minute journey to London Bridge. I can't function in the morning until I have drank 2 pints of tea.) and says good morning to the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs.

One morning, whilst I was reading the paper, drinking my tea and had said hello to the dinosaurs I sat and listened to the theme music to "Murder She Said" (the classic film starring Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple) on my iPod whilst gazing gormelessly out of the window. I can gaze into the middle distance, thinking my 'Special Thoughts' for hours on end.

We were just approaching the recycling dump outside London Bridge when I spotted 3 workmen. They were in their hardhats, high risibility vests and steel toe-capped boots. And they were running towards the train waving in a highly exaggerated way. I burst out laughing and waved back.


Figured they were so bored they thought they would wave at all the passing commuter trains. It was like the Railway Children and I was quite relieved that they weren't also waving a great big pair of red underpants on a stick.

I looked out for them since then but have only seen them do it one more time. Its probably against Health & Safety or something.

What made the whole thing even more surreal is that I had the theme music to Miss Marple playing in my ears.

Did you know that Margaret Rutherford is the ONLY Miss Marple?

This is Sock Money on the way to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha v. amusing. I'm still trying to work out what MCMLX1 is in modern numerals.
Fionna

Sock Monkey said...

One of the guys waved again last week. I waved back and he saw me! He waved even more wildly. I was laughing about it for hours! It made my day.