Monday 21 July 2008

Camera Obscura


Sock Monkey and P went to see Camera Obscura last Thursday at King's College Student's Union and my they were good.

I only discovered them about 3 years ago but they have become one of my most favourite bands in that short time. They don't play in the UK very often so I was particularly pleased to get to see them. Its the first time I have been in a student union bar since 1993 when I was a student and I must say the price of subsidised beer isn't as cheap as it used to be! Also it is a bugger to find. Please note KCLSU your website is worse than useless for getting directions from.

We arrived as the first support band were on. They were pretty good and were entertaining to watch. The second support band weren't so great. I have no idea the name of either of these bands! It is nice to see a band in a small venue like this rather than something like Wembley or O2 which are just too bloomin' big, expensive and a pain to get home from.

Then hooray! on came Camera Obscura who were simply in a different league. They played quite a few tracks from their most recent album 'Let's get Out of This Country' including a firm favourite of mine: 'Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken' and 'Come Back Margaret'.

In fact, they managed to cram a lot into their alotted hour, even given that TracyAnne was most embarrassed at having to take valuable time out to tune one of her guitars.

Camera Obscura are fantastic musicians and TracyAnne has a fabulous voice. You can tell from their polished and professional performance that they have been together for 10 years. The only disappointment was that they didn't play my very besty-fave song of theirs, 'Suspended From Class' from their second album 'Underachievers Please try Harder' but I am planning to see them at A Fist Full of Fandango in September so hopefully they'll play it then.

And I do like their album covers. 'Underachievers Please Try Harder' above is one of my all time favourites.

No comments: